So my mother bought a 14 lb turkey and a 13 lb ham for the three of us for Christmas lunch. Result: we have a meaty mountain of Christmas leftovers BUT we will not see it go to waste, oh no we will eat turkey for every meal between now and new year if we have to. Are you in a similar predicament? If so hop on down to your local supermarket and grab some pre-rolled puff pastry because this is one quick and easy recipe to make dent into that turkey stack.
Once you have made these scrummy flakey pastry bites just offer casually to visitors and watch as you sneakily feed them your remaining turkey one mouthful at a time. Alternatively leave them on the countertop in the kitchen and they will mysteriously disappear as a passing family member picks up a bitesize treat. They are extremely moreish so make a big batch because they get snatched up fast.
- Ready made Puff pastry
- cranberry sauce
- roast turkey leftovers sliced into bitesize pieces
- goats cheese
- 1 egg yolk whisked together with 1 tbsp water to make an egg wash
- 1.Pre-heat the over to 200°C
- 2.Find two different sized pastry cutters.
- 3.Roll out the pastry to around 3mm thick
- 4.Use the larger cutter to cut out double the number of rounds of pastry as the number of bites you want to make.
- 5.Using the smaller cutter cut a hole out of the centre of half of the larger shapes.
- 6.Place each of the cut-out pastry shapes over the top of the whole shapes (see picture above) and brush with the egg wash.
- 7. Place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake in the oven for 7 minutes.
- 8. Remove from oven- use your finger to flatten the pastry in the centre of the bite and fill with teaspoon of cranberry sauce, a piece of turkey and/or bacon and a teaspoon of crumbled goats cheese in each puff.
- 9. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.