Whilst planning my trip to Japan I have been reading a lot about what and where to eat, in fact I probably need to concentrate more on the temples/palaces/mountains or I risk leaving with nothing more than a packet of chopsticks as a souvenir and the memory of some tasty noodles. One thing I have discovered is that they eat a whole lot of tofu.
Now I have eaten at yo sushi more times than I care to admit but somehow i’ve just never managed get past the bright plates of fresh tuna and salmon whizzing around to try the tofu. So given that I will be in Kyoto in a few months a city renowned for being obsessed with the stuff I decided to cook some of my own
Under the vegetarian section of my local supermarket I found some “momen tofu”, this is the most common type of tofu and has a firmish texture a bit like very tender chicken, eaten plain it also has a mild clean taste. SUCCESS if I enjoyed it plain I knew it was going to be delicious once I had smothered it in a sticky honey soy and mustard marinade and created these grilled tofu skewers.
It really was very very delicious one of those where I had to stop photographing and just eat because of the tasty aromas. The tofu is like a sponge soaking up and holding onto all the delicious spicy salty flavours of the soy and mustard. The honey in the marinade caramelises on the hot griddle adding a tasty sweetness to the finished dish. Grilled avocado is a total revelation too- you just know i’m going to be eating it for every meal once we get the barbecue out this summer.
So for all you tofu doubters out there- I was once where you are but seriously take the plunge because this is a high protein, no cholesterol super versatile ingredient which deserves to be loved….next stop chocolate tofu
- 400g firm tofu
- 1 avocado (not too ripe)
- 100g spinach leaves
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp mustard
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hazelnut oil
- 1.Whisk together the honey, mustard, soy sauce, lemon juice together in a bowl
- 2.Cut the tofu into thick pieces and add to the bowl coating in the marinade.
- 3. Heat the oil in a griddle pan over a very high heat
- 4. Add the tofu and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side before removing and placing onto kitchen towel to get rid of any excess oil
- 5. Add the avocado and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side
- 6. Place on skewers with spinach leaves and serve by drizzling with reamaining marinade