So my mother has gone cycling mad ever since she bought her road bike last year and tomorrow she is off on her first ever event The Cobbler Classic. She will be cycling 39 miles along with my little brother who is an absolute pro. I seriously think he might win the Tour de France one day- you heard it here first. In fact we all just got back from our cycle ride this morning and he is bounding around whilst I have to walk down the stairs sideways with my legs perfectly straight because if i bend them they turn to jelly and I collapse. Stupid house would have to be on top of a great big hill wouldn’t it?
Anyway in order to fuel my mum and little bro tomorrow I’ve cooked them up a batch of these peanut butter pretzel bites which also include banana to take with them on their ride. I also wanted to have a go at creating a high protein healthy snack for myself because I’m in the middle of this 3 month gym program thing to try and get more muscly (sounds odd, i know) and I really can’t afford to keep buying all these healthy fruit and nut bars all the time.
So these bites are really good for you and they taste good plus they are really really filling. I have used oats instead of flour and the bananas give most of the sweetness so the sugar content is low. Its that old classic mix of sweet and savoury that make these so yummy, the salty pretzel with the nutty peanut butter and the sweet banana flavour is very moreish. But like I said they are really filling so don’t go stuffing yourself with 6 at once because after about half an hour you are going to feel like you have got a rock in your belly.
These make a really cute good luck present if you know anyone who is training for one of these charity events like a half marathon or an epic bike ride. Or you can just make a batch all for yourself to enjoy a guilt free snack, plus they are quite sturdy so you can take them to school, uni,work or the gym without worrying about them melting or falling to pieces inside your bag. I’m secretly quite jealous of my mum doing her event tomorrow maybe I will sign up for a 10K to keep me motivated at the gym – are you planning to do any sports events this summer?
- 340g peanut butter (crunchy or smooth your choice, i used crunchy)
- 200g oats or oatmeal
- 2 bananas
- 1 bag pretzels
- 5 tbsp milk/ almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 50 ml maple syrup
- 1tsp baking powder
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C
- 1. Add the oats to a food processor with a blade, blend until they have formed a texture as fine as breadcrumbs.
- 2. Add the 40ml of maple syrup, the bananas, milk, eggs, baking powder and peanut butter and blend to an even consistency. The mixture should be thick like a brownie mixture but not pourable. If it is too thin add more oats, if too thick, more milk.
- 3. Line a square baking tin in both directions with grease proof paper and spoon in the mixture
- 4. Carefully place the pretzels on the surface and drizzle with the remaining maple syrup
- 5. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- 6. Wait for the tin to cool before removing and cutting into squares